The Academy was founded within a few months after the end of the Second World War as the Academy of Acting Arts. It was devoted to the education of theatre actors, directors and dramaturges. The founding of the Academy in 1945 represented the institutionalisation of a school for actors set up already in 1943 by the Partisans in the “liberated territory” of the then-occupied Slovenia – a territory that hosted institutions such as a theatre, airport and railway. Following the introduction of television in Slovenia in the late fifties, the Academy of Acting Arts expanded its curriculum with cinema and radio in 1963 and, shortly thereafter, with television as well. Gradually, the Academy developed the regular production of short films as well as radio and television broadcasts. According to these changes the Academy of Acting Arts was in 1963 renamed the Academy of Theatre, Radio, Film and Television (AGRFT). In 1975 the Academy became a member of the University of Ljubljana.