The Academy of Theatre, Radio, Film and Television’s mission consists of:
- implementing undergraduate and postgraduate university programmes to train students for professions in the fields of theatre, radio, film and television,
- implementing creative activities in theatre, radio, film and television intrinsic to education in art professions,
- research activities in the scientific fields of theatre and film studies.
Due to a lack of adequate cultural and higher-education policies, resulting in the insufficiency of financial, logistic and technical provisions, as well as human resources, the Academy is currently unable to fulfil its mission in its entirety in the following areas:
- the scope of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes is incomplete and does not meet the current Slovene cultural community’s needs, much less in the forthcoming years,
- in view of the criteria ignoring the actual needs in implementing art activities when it comes to allocating funding, their implementation depends primarily on personal commitment of lecturers and students, as well as on assistance of non-educational institutions,
- due to a lack of sensitivity in the field of theatre and film studies research, as well as due to few PhD’s in the field and due to increasingly strict demands in programme funding allocated to research activities, AGRFT is having trouble implementing its research activities in its field of studies, which is why they have been reduced to a minimum.
The Academy is committed to remain a leading and preeminent educational institution in the fields of theatre, radio, film and television by following the most innovative contemporary guidelines in art and to convey to its students the finest of what past experiences have to offer. The Academy has consolidated its position in theatre and film studies in Slovenia as well as internationally, and enriched many areas in creative and scientific output in Slovenia and abroad.
The Academy of Theatre, Radio, Film and Television has been a member of the University of Ljubljana since 1975.
It was in 1945, when the National Government of Slovenia founded Academy of Drama Arts by its decree. This was the first higher education institution of theatre training in former Yugoslavia. It began to operate in March 1946. In 1949 it was moved from its premises at Štefanova ulica in Ljubljana to three floors of a nationalised monastery at 3, Nazorjeva ulica (basement, ground floor and a section of the 1st floor).
In 1963, however, The Academy of Drama Arts was renamed to become the Academy of Theatre, Radio, Film and Television. It operated as an independent, rector-led higher education institution until 1975.
The needs of audio-visual media called for an expansion of the Academy’s curriculum from theatre to other related, and yet independent fields. In the early years these consisted mainly of film and radio, and later on television studires. The Academy gradually established a vibrant production of student films, as well as radio and television shows.
UL AGRFT is the only higher education institution in Slovenia offering university-level training for professions in theatre, film, radio and television. In 2014, the bulk of the Academy’s activities were moved to its new premises at Trubarjeva cesta. For the first time since its foundation, persistent efforts made by the Academy’s direction to solve the issue of its premises were partially met. Today, the Academy implements teaching process at rented premises at Nazorjeva ulica, Trubarjeva cesta and Kvedrova ulica, as well as in rented production spaces in public and private theatre houses. The Academy’s efforts regarding the issue of its premises remain directed towards ensuring a suitable and permanent solution.